Thursday 14 March 2013

Why Teach ICT?

This question came into my mind and I ask myself, Why do I need to educate the younger ones about/with ICT? Besides, from Megan's post, it motivates me to post about my ideas and thoughts on why should we teach ICT.

After enrolling into this course and so much readings have been done, I finally understand why should I, as an educator introduce ICT to the children. Technology has become apart of our culture, therefore, it is very important that we are educated in how to use it. During my primary years, using ICTs are very rare. We are more into work sheet based learning instead of using ICT tools. But later on in my secondary days, teacher start using laptop and projector to teach. To me, it made teaching easier.

I am going to share my point of view on why should educator teach about ICT.

As mentioned earlier, technology has now become part of our culture. In the city I live in, I often see children playing games with Ipad, Smart phone and also Tablets. I think it is a good thing that children are exposed to ICT tools. They will learn to explore and learn to focus on something. When children sees something attractive, it will catch their attention (TeachingExpertise, 1997). Through ICT, we can make lesson as creative by adding music or maybe video. It will actually be more interesting than work sheet.

Besides, teaching ICT also enable students to understand what are the adults actually doing. Sometimes, we as an adult will say things like email, researching and also browsing. When students are introduce to using ICTs, they will have the idea of what email actually means, how to research and how to browse for information that they wanted to know.

More information on ICT as per below table:


These are the ideas I have in mind. Will share and blog more about ICT soon. (=


Reference:

TeachingExpertise. (1997). How To Use ICT To Support Young Children's Learning. Retrieved on March 14, 2013 from http://www.teachingexpertise.com/articles/how-to-use-ict-to-support-young-childrens-learning-3071

No comments:

Post a Comment